Goulburn Murray Landcare Network
How Can we help your group?
- To support Landcare groups in the Shepparton Irrigation Region.
- To provide opportunities for the exchange of ideas and experiences between Landcare Groups.
- To publicise and promote the links between sustainable production and natural resource management.
- To strengthen community business partnerships, by attracting support from and building relationships with, business and industry.
- To strengthen partnerships with government agencies, local government, schools, tertiary institutions, urban communities and other groups as appropriate.
- To influence regional planning and policy decision making.
- To seek funding for Landcare projects.
- To coordinate resources and information sharing.
- To encourage research partnerships with Landcare.
Local Area Plannning
Local Area Planning is a partnership between communities, agencies and the Goulburn Murray Landcare Network. Local Area Plans are being implemented for Cornella, Wyuna, Invergordon, Nanneella & District, Nathalia & District, Muckatah Katamatite Naringangalook, Bunbartha Kaarimba Zeerust and Dhurringile & District. A Local Area Plan looks at water, soil, social and economical concerns, the environment and farming practices. The Goulburn Murray Landcare Network employs 6 Local Area Planning community members to help implement the plans and to achieve on-ground works. See back page for map of LAP areas.
We offer a range of support to Landcare groups and individual landholders on how to apply for funding for projects and support with on-ground works with the Work Teams.
We can help provide training to Landcare groups, assist with writing media articles, provide information on plant species best suited for your area and written material on wetland development and planting techniques. We also have very good contacts within agencies and can offer assistance if you are not sure who to approach about an issue.
Pest Plants & Animals
Weeds and feral animals are a concern to most landholders due to loss of productivity and the effects on stock. The Goulburn Murray Landcare Network aims to assist with the control of weeds and feral animals on public or private land by offering advice and support for funding. We are involved with the Weed REP program working along side the Department of Primary Industries in mapping and control of weeds in certain areas.
We attend field days in the Shepparton Irrigation Region on request and general field days such as the Goulburn Valley Dairy and Machinery Field Days at Stanhope and the Elmore Field Day annually. We promote Landcare, encourage Best Management Practices for farms and encourage sustainable farm management.
Indian Myna Action
Goulburn Murray Landcare Network is holding a series of FREE information sessions and workshops for interested people to become involved in a community effort to control these pests across the Goulburn Murray Irrigation District. Here is your opportunity to actively do something about these winged rodents.
Landcare Awards & Celebration Day Sun May 16, 2010
Nomination forms for:
- Reward & Recognition
Show & Tell Submissiona
Local Area Planning
What is a Local Area Plan?
A plan to establish a sustainable sound environment by identifying and overcoming land management and social problems through community action.